Coronavirus on jet fuel demand

Coronavirus on jet fuel demand

de Mery Mogollon -
Número de respuestas: 19

Hi all

In this story, the data was used to explain the impact of the Coronavirus on jet fuel demand due to the suspension of flights to China.  The presentation of the data made specialized information more understandable to a wider audience and gave magnitude to the economics consequences of the virus spread worldwide.

Infographic: Jet fuel cracks crash in Asia as airlines drastically cut back China routes amid COVID-19 outbreak

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/plattscontent/_assets/_images/latest-news/20200226-infographic-coronavirus-jet-fuel-airlines-covid-19.jpg

Infographic: Jet fuel cracks crash in Asia as airlines drastically cut back China routes amid COVID-19 outbreak http://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/oil/022620-infographic-coronavirus-jet-fuel-airlines-covid-19?

En respuesta a Mery Mogollon

Re: Coronavirus on jet fuel demand

de Usuario eliminado -
Hi Mery I find the information very interesting, but I have to say that I disagree about the graph.

It seems to me that the decision to place names of so many countries in a circle is not appropriate. When your eyes look at the chart for the first time, your brain constantly bounces off the small names, trying to retain information, to the center of the circle, which is more striking. This saturates very quickly and prevents you from noticing the reference to the right about the color of the aircraft, which indicates the damage that the aeorolines have suffered, and is the most important information in the image. 

I don't know if the same thing happened when you saw it for the first time, but I can imagine many people going over the image because of this. I think it's as I said in the document "deconstructing data-viz": Avoid over-embellishment and unnecessary artwork.

de Carolina Vila-Nova -
I disagree about the graph as well. I thought it was quite confusing and I couldn't easily tell what the impact of coronavirus on jet fuels was.

de Usuario eliminado -

Thank you for sharing the article. I can see how this story needs data visualization but I too was overwhelmed by the middle one. As a journalist, I forced myself to try to understand it (even then, I wasn't sure what to compare since there were so many elements, and some unnecessary like the names of the individual airlines. I would have just included the number and countries) but as a reader, I wouldn't have spent too much time on it. Too much information leads to its ineffectiveness. Perhaps a more effective viz would have been  a stacked bar chart? An interactive viz?

de Usuario eliminado -
Hi Mery,

Thanx for sharing the link. The designers have done a great job with such an attractive graph. Nevertheless, I believe that they have given priority to the "beauty" of the graph rather than its simplicity.
While analyzing the datavizualization - especially the big one in the middle -  I am quite confused and I cannot figure out in a direct way what information they are trying to convey to the audience.

de Usuario eliminado -

It's nice idea, but the graphic is confuse. I would use simple format, like: separate the countries and transform each one in different pie charts with the specific information of that country.

de Lidia Rita Bonilla Delgado -

Hola Mery

Buenas noches a todos !!

Certamente es muy interesante la información, pero coincido con  quienes señalan la confusión que genera tanta información en un circulo que hace perder de vista otros datos importantes.  

de Usuario eliminado -

Even with the different manners we can improve visualizations, the attractive point of this is the oportunity, the moment of the story.