The Guardian Australia's The Killing Times

The Guardian Australia's The Killing Times

por Usuário excluído -
Número de respostas: 1

In Australia, mainstream society can often be very ignorant or find it very easy to ignore the fact that the country is still a colony state and that the First Nations people were and continue to be treated badly. History education seems to be a bit of a hit and miss situation - the levels of knowledge vary widely. 

The Guardian found data on all the locations of massacres of Indigenous Australians and mapped them all. 

It drove the point home that almost everywhere you turn, there was a murder of someone who had a claim to the land. And that almost every date in the calendar was a day of death and trauma for Indigenous Australians. 

It showed how little regard settlers had for Indigenous Australians, it reminded people that this was a massive amount of trauma and genocide not often discussed in education, not often taught well and not ofteh thought about and quite often dismissed because people want to think more romantically about their past history and that there was a government in power willing to support a narrative that erased or didn't pay attention to all of this. 

I think it went a huge way to changing people's attitudes and educating people. 

It was primarily a map with quotes from people and historical accounts and a lot of context explaining it all. 

LINK: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/series/the-killing-times

Em resposta à Usuário excluído

Re: The Guardian Australia's The Killing Times

por Usuário excluído -

Hello,

Agree the Guardian project is groundbreaking.

I write about it in my response to question 2.

Regards,

Mark Skulley