School shootings in the US

School shootings in the US

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 4

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/02/15/us/school-shootings-sandy-hook-parkland.html?auth=login-smartlock

This story does a very good job at showing the reader the number of school shootings in a very easy and lucid way. It's so clear what the visual tells us: how many people died, how many were injured, and when the shooting happened. In a way, it's also haunting how frank the visual is by putting the data in our face like that. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: School shootings in the US

by Deleted user -

Interesting presentation.  I feel like most people would be inclined to present things on a map, but this takes a totally different, and arguably more effective, approach.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Dear Nataly,

Thank you for sharing the link. As you stated, the graph is clear and abided with the advice Simon Scarr shared in his article "Deconstructing Data Viz." The color red is relevant to the topic and the design is simple and straightforward. I agree it is a bit daunting to see the numbers of school shootings being displayed "in our face."

Kind regards,

Shatha

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I found your choice of data visualisation rather interesting. Personally this is the first time I see such a form of data visualisation, it is daunting to see the visuals of those whom were shot/injured displayed " in our face". However, as unsettling as it is, it is very informative and provides us with a better idea of how school shootings have impacted and will continue to impact the lives of many.