Module 4 question 2

Module 4 question 2

par Utilisateur supprimé,
Nombre de réponses : 2

Published: August 20, 2010

Support for Same-Sex Marriage

Support for gay marriage has risen to 45 percent or more, according to national polls, and a CNN poll this month found that a narrow majority of Americans supported same-sex marriage. Estimates for each state, based on these national polls, show how support has risen across the country. Related Article » | Graphic Graphic: State-by-State Data »
play.png

2010 Assuming 50% support nationwide

map6.png

* In all of the time periods shown here, a statistical technique has been used to generate state estimates from national polls. Public opinion is estimated in small demographic categories within each state, and then these are averaged using census information to get state-level summaries. Estimates in 2010 are projected from 2008 state-level estimates using an aggregate national estimate of 45 percent (or 50 percent) support for gay marriage.

The New York Times | Send Feedback

Source: Andrew Gelman, Jeffrey Lax and Justin Phillips, Columbia University

This is an interactive map from the New York Times, that shows how the percentage of states has changed their opinion about same-sex marriage from 1994 to 2010. The map is interactive but the action didn't come across when I copied the map. When you hit the play button the percentage of states that approve of same-sex marriage changes until you get to 2010 when the percentage is at 50 percent. The time for which the graphic was made. There is a line chart at the bottom that is color-coded to show the percentage of individuals in each state which favor same-sex marriage.

En réponse à Utilisateur supprimé

Re: Module 4 question 2

par Utilisateur supprimé,

This is awesome and so detailed. I know it's shallow but the color scheme is....blah. Especially for something about gay marriage. Sometimes we do so much hard word and get so into the data that we forget about holding readers' interests. I understand not wanting to use rainbow colors for objectivity, but it's a shame to wash out hard work with boring colors. The hardest part can be getting people to actually read what we've worked so hard on.