Twelve Million Phones, One Dataset, Zero Privacy 2

Twelve Million Phones, One Dataset, Zero Privacy 2

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 11

Hi everyone!

So, here's the set of articles and visualizations from the story about phone tracking I talked about in my other post in Module 4.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/19/opinion/location-tracking-cell-phone.html

What they did best? I think that conveying the message they wanted to tell is definitely one of the main features of these visualizations. Even though the data were quite precise collections of mobile pings with geological data attached to them, this exact precision is toned down to dots on a map and creating lines to connect them to create presumed paths. There is beauty in simplicity and that's the key here. These visualizations won't give you exact coordinates or latitude to work with yourself, but as an average reader, you usually do not need it. They show you what the data represent and how it can be used to track someone, you, officials, everyone. The visuals themselves are nice and uncluttered in terms of complexity, but they are sometimes cluttered in terms of data-points displayed. Overall, I think it's one of the best visualization on mobile tracking in terms of its content and presentation.        

Cheers,

Andrew

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Twelve Million Phones, One Dataset, Zero Privacy 2

by Deleted user -
I love this story from the NYT, great example Andrew! I love the fact that it's an interactive story that visualizes every section in the story. An idea is explained in words, then it's shown visually. 

I think showing the data geographically is the best way to do it and I like that every dataset is separated. For example, the visualizations with dots are one and then that same data presented as a line is another. Rather than overlapping too many things, they make sure every visualization is simple and clear on its own. 

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I just read this story, it is a great example with visualisations.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

This is so well put, informative and easy to read. Thank you for sharing

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -
Very interesting series of articles.  Actually turned off advertising in my settings.  
In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

i took a moment to look and i think this is a brilliant way to convey information. You get hooked on the visual first hand

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -
Great example and analysis.
In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Amazing data viz strategy.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

What an incredible and fascinating story. I think this is particularly relevant now because of the debate (at least in Australia) around tracking people's phones to try and curb coronavirus (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-20/government-insists-coronavirus-tracing-app-wont-track-locations/12163756) - this story makes clear that we already give so much data away, so that may make people less anxious about tracking for public health purposes. 

It would be interesting as an extension of this project, to use this data or similar to demonstrate how tracing/tracking would work in the Coronavirus context. 

Great example!

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -
I read this story in December, but forgot about it until you brought it up here -- interesting how this data is all being used by the NYTimes to produce data stories about how quickly states changed their behavior to comply with social distancing recommendations for coronavirus. It definitely makes you wonder about your own privacy and how much phone/tech companies are selling your data for their own profit. 
In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Thank you for sharing. Very interesting, great example and analysis. Interesting how this data is all being used by the NYTimes to produce data stories about how quickly states changed their behavior to comply with social distancing recommendations for coronavirus. 

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

The construction of the article is immersive and engaging; It really makes you want to see the whole story and how far it goes, not only with narrative but also visual elements.