The graph of the impact of Covid-19 in jetfuel market again

The graph of the impact of Covid-19 in jetfuel market again

por Mery Mogollon -
Número de respostas: 0

Hi guys

One of my best history professors  in a master's degree in History of the Americas once spoke of the "relevance" of historical research.   A concept that we sometimes forget, although it is one of the main bases of journalism.  Sometimes what may seem important to us is not relevant.  

In my opinion, relevance is one of the things to take into account when we decide to start an ambitious and impacting project. Excuse me for a bit of a long introduction.

I'm going to take up the graph of the impact of  Covid-19 in  jet fuel market, which I use in the first question of Forum 4.

Infographic: Jet fuel cracks crash in Asia as airlines drastically cut back China routes amid COVID-19 outbreak http://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/oil/022620-infographic-coronavirus-jet-fuel-airlines-covid-19?

It is of great relevance in this moment to the general public and especially to the business sector around jet fuel and commercial aviation. 

I used the "Deconstructing Data Viz" guide to analyze it. 

1. The data is good and consistent. It requires specialized knowledge to identify this data and also geographical knowledge. China as we know it is a giant. Placing all that data and those elements on a single graph is an interesting job.  However, it may seem overwhelming, an aspect that is justified by the size of the country and the movement in airports in China.  It would be necessary to write  dozens paragraphs to explain what the graph says.

2. The main graph is complemented with bar charts for comparisons, which I think is an interesting resource to help clear up the doubts that the main graph could leave.

3. The composition in the form of a circle with all those lines and airplanes has its limitations.   But I understand gathering so much information in a small sphere was a big job. It's not easy when it comes to mega-data, as we've seen from the multiple readings.

4. The design  was not fully achieved. Making it simpler, less "beautiful" might help. 

I have some years in journalism and I continue to be surprised in a gratifying way every day as our profession continues to evolve, modernize and expand horizons.

Thanks to the instructors for sharing their knowledge of how to do things right

Finally I share an interactive chart of the types of crude oil that exist in the world. It is very interesting. 

Interactive: Not all oil is equal – Platts Periodic Table of Oil

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/plattscontent/_assets/_files/downloads/crude_grades_periodic_table/crude_grades_periodic_table.html

Mery