Map of mortgage approvals by race

Map of mortgage approvals by race

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 5

The map that went along with the series on mortgage redlining by Reveal was excellent.

https://www.revealnews.org/article/for-people-of-color-banks-are-shutting-the-door-to-homeownership/  See sidebar link.

I was able to see an analysis of large data sets for a big metro are and zoom in on neighborhoods I am familiar with. One can see that in some neighborhoods traditionally majority-minority, that nearly all new mortgages are going to white households. 

An enterprising journalist could use this data to start up another piece on bank-enabled gentrification in a particular part of the country starting with this national data set, add in historic home values, etc.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Map of mortgage approvals by race

by Deleted user -

Oh, great idea! Just goes to show you how rich this story is (that you can discover more stories within it).

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

This is a great news story to choose for this topic because the journalists wrote the story in an organized and clear way. They used data like photos and statistics which attracts the reader's attention even more which is a good tactic in writing a news story. they also have analyzed the data. 

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -
This is a great example of how some stories naturally lend themselves to visualization. Props to Reveal for making such an easy-to-use interactive map that actually made me want to learn more. Thanks for sharing!
In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -
Wow!! perfect work, content is so organized and very informative. Nicely done
In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -
Definitely a great example and the scope of this story can lead to several other relevant tangents.