Comparing PISA results

Comparing PISA results

by Aline Flor -
Number of replies: 4
This is a set of infographics about the Portuguese results of PISA examinations, that assess reading, science and math skills of students (sorry, it is not an investigative piece)

https://www.publico.pt/2019/12/03/infografia/preparar-jovens-392

I immediately recalled Simon Scarr examples of how to use color and highlignts when I saw the big graph that compares every country - the solution to use a darker tone to highlight the Portuguese results over time and the blue rectangles, with numbers and a line linking each other, that highlight differently the evolution of OECD average. 

The set of graphic that tries to show how Portuguese pupils are in comparison to OECD average looks a bit confusing, with six look-alike graphics. Line charts are indeed the right choice for time series, but since there are different levels of information involved, they could have tried to convey the information in a more complex, perhaps single visualization. The same thing for the last set of graphics: nine lookalike pie charts (ok choice) that could perhaps be bundled in one or few bar charts.

In reply to Aline Flor

Re: Comparing PISA results

by Carolina Vila-Nova -

A great example of an interactive, informative and "pleasing to the eye" graphic. Thanks for sharing!

In reply to Aline Flor

by Deleted user -

Great find! They could definitely have done better.

In reply to Aline Flor

by Deleted user -

Thank you for sharing! I see also another problem, when I choose some countries from the bottom of the list, in some cases, I don't see the colours highlighted, such as Georgia, Trinidad and Tobago or Viet Nam, because their results are shown higher up in the infographic. So, unless you zoom out in the page you are unable to see them, given that you can't scroll up because you lose your option chosen.