Report about the absence of Brazilian congressmen in the Legislative House

Report about the absence of Brazilian congressmen in the Legislative House

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 1

Hello, guys!

After take the class of data visualization, I found an easy example (as a first step for the ones who are enter in this data world), but that I believe that is a good one: It is the report "Congressmen have 2,118 absences discounted from their salaries in 2019" ( https://www.poder360.com.br/congresso/deputados-tem-2-118-faltas-descontadas-dos-salarios-em-2019/ - it is in Portuguese. Sorry!)

In order to explain why there were so many absences and, specially, who committed them, the journalist chose to do two simple bar charts: 

- one ranking the parties that had more absent congressmen (and, therefore, had more discount in the payments)

* in this one, it has like a "bonus" graphic that shows the evolution of the discounts between 2017 and 2019. The thing here is that they chose to continue to use a bar chart instead of a line one, more common when times are compared. 

- another pointing who were these congressmen. 

With bars and without complication, it is easy to see the numbers and understand equivalence. As put in the "Deconstructing Data Viz", the data is "clean and complete". 

For me the report could be beyond and did a more investigative work, as showing the reasons given to the absences (this data just was given for the congressmen that wanted to give a response) . But the fact is the it fulfilled what was proposed.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Report about the absence of Brazilian congressmen in the Legislative House

by Deleted user -
wow! perfect example for a beginner like me. thank you