NYT data visualization as part of primary election coverage

NYT data visualization as part of primary election coverage

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 1

I've found the NYT's data visualizations helpful in depicting how candidates have fared throughout different states in the Democratic presidential primary.

The latest example is from the Times' coverage of the South Carolina primary, where Joe Biden received the most votes in every county in the state. In some ways, seeing the Times' data visualization colored entirely purple (for Biden) makes the point even stronger than stating in an article that "Biden won the most votes in every county."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/02/29/us/elections/results-south-carolina-primary-election.html

In reply to Deleted user

Re: NYT data visualization as part of primary election coverage

by Deleted user -

Hey Alex,

Yes I agree the Times does a good job reinforcing the facts with the data visualizations.  I actually really appreciate that they include a comparison of previous polls with actual results.  I'm wondering if they are doing this in response to the disparity seen in the 2016 election when polls consistently heralded Hillary Clinton as ahead in the race v. D. Trump.  Showing us how the actual results of any vote compare to the polls taken prior to the vote is helpful in painting a more realistic picture of the accuracy or inaccuracy of polls. 

-Kate