Voter turnout in SC

Voter turnout in SC

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3
This Washington Post story looks at voter turnout in South Carolina's primary election. The data viz is a set of maps that breaks down the increase or decrease in voter turnout by precinct. The thumbnail of the map made me click on the story because it seemed interesting, but once I was looking at it, I wasn't sure what I was seeing, or what it meant. In the article, they point out that white voters in higher income brackets helped Joe Biden win the primary, but that's not clear in the maps. The clusters of arrows help show where turnout increased, but I think color could have helped make the maps more clear. A bar chart to divide voters by income bracket may have also helped illustrate the story where the maps could not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/01/south-carolinas-turnout-makes-bidens-win-even-more-impressive/?arc404=true
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Voter turnout in SC

by Deleted user -
This map offers an engaging design. And I agree that your suggestions could help make it better. 
In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

The article was interesting but I agree the graphic is very confusing. I normally would have scrolled right past it because it takes a minute to understand what they're trying to relay. 

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Perhaps the SC maps are a bit overwhelming with so many arrows. I agree, a couple of bar charts might help the reader understand it better. That being said, I really like the inclusion of the U.S. map near the bottom of the story showing each state and election date.