Reduce Reuse Refocus

Reduce Reuse Refocus

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

"Reduce Reuse Refocus: A Recycling Guide for Northeast Ohio"

Andrew Meyer, the editor of WKSU, an Ohio NPR station, said everything about the need for data visualization in their series on recycling in his opening paragraph:

"We heard it from you time and again. 'Why can't I find one place where I can get what I need to know about recycling in my city, my village, my township?' We looked. We couldn't find one either. As part of our series, Reduce Reuse Refocus, we decided to build one for you. Once we started building it, we realized why it hadn't been done before.  It wasn't easy. You see, every place is just a little bit different."

I was also impressed with the teamwork they used to gather and assemble this guide as part of their multi-part reporting series on recycling:

"We decided to bring it all together in one spot online, but that took some real teamwork. We started in the Fall of 2019 with a group of data volunteers, all working together to track down the information. They checked websites and followed up with phone calls. With the beginning of 2020, we added several interns from the newsroom in helping to find the data we needed. At the same time, the newsroom had been researching and experimenting with data visualization tools to determine the best one to connect with you. Once we did, there was the final challenge of making it work."

This interactive map is packed with data - the reporting team certainly did their homework.  However, it is a bit sensitive to use and jumps around a lot, making for a somewhat frustrating although ultimately useful experience.